Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Toon shading

I think the specular map is pretty much done, and upon doing a couple of renders in Maya, I think I may have come across a fairly simple and effective way of getting that semi-toon shaded aesthetic.  In painting the specular map I made the parts that stick out brighter, and painted the receding areas darker.


(Spec map is a .png, so there's plenty of transparency to it.  Tweaked in Photoshop.)
What do you think?

I have to do the color map, and then the color map(s) for the leaflet set, and then make the arrangements for the dying tree, and the healthy tree.  Hopefully I can be done before tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. (I used the 3-point lighting setup for this.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. toon shading looks okay-ish. My only big problem is that it makes the tree look like tarp

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean that the tree's been covered with a tarp/cloth?

    ReplyDelete